Monday, July 16, 2012

And we're back

I apologize for my 2 week absence.  Mr. PT and I did not get our power back on until Friday!  A long six days of no lights, no air conditioning, no computers, and worst of all, no stove or oven!  We did our best to save our refrigerator but we lost a lot of food.  This was our picnic dinner in Mr. PT's office one night:


We still had a lot of veggies from Good Food Good People to use, so I steamed snap peas in the microwave, made cheese and lettuce tortillas with salsa, dipped broccoli and carrots in ranch, and munched on bread and cheese.  We ate peaches for dessert.

Pretty interesting, right?  Just goes to show that even if your environment changes, you can still stick to a balanced diet as best you can.

Last week I was on the Kipawa River in Quebec, Canada with my family having a blast fishing, swimming, playing volleyball, badminton, poker, and enjoying everyone's company.  Again, no electricity, however, we had propane tanks to light our stoves and keep our food cold.  It was a much better situation.

Now I am back!  I had a strong craving for my typical vegetable platter, so I whipped up this delightful mix:


I started with sweet corn that I cut off the cob and softened in a skillet on medium heat with olive oil, sweet onions, kale, yellow zucchini, and southwest seasonings (cumin, pepper, onion, garlic, etc).  I threw it in a bowl with black beans, fresh avocado (1/2 avocado), orange grape tomatoes (seeds removed), and goat cheese.  I sprinkled the whole mix with freshly squeezed lime juice (1/2 lime).

Wow.  How wonderful to make my own food after two weeks.  Especially with all fresh ingredients (minus the canned black beans).  It tasted like heaven.

Struggling with how to make small changes to your diet?  Remember, fresher is better.

Combine with some standing core exercises (leg lifts with straight and bent legs, standing yoga poses, alternating toe touches).

No comments: