Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Are you into arugula?

Even though it was a whopping 67 degrees outside today, it is still January!  And that means our gardens are quite bare.  One dish I am definitely missing is basil pesto!  I have tried to convince myself the past two summers to save some in the freezer but I can never keep it in there long enough!

So I was very excited when I found this recipe for arugula pesto!  I know it sounds funky, but it is delicious! And easy to make!

You will need:
2 cups packed arugula leaves
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
fresh cracked pepper
a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Place garlic and almonds in the food processor.  Process until the almonds are coarsely chopped.  Add the parmesan and arugula.  Turn on the processor and steadily pour in the oil. Add the seasoning and give another pulse.

Thank you Pinterest (www.crunchyrock.com) for the awesome idea!


Mr. PT and I dipped fresh garlic/sun dried tomato bread and pecorino cheese into this delicious dip while we sipped some craft beers.  Yum!


The next morning I served the little we had leftover with scrambled eggs and toast.  This pesto did not last long!  I cannot wait to make it again!



Combine with an outdoor walk/run.  Take advantage of the weather, if you have it!  If not, bundle up and get the cobwebs out of your lungs!

What foods from the summer do you miss? Leave a comment! 


No comments: