Monday, February 27, 2012

Pump up your chicken salad!

Chicken salad is one of my go-to dishes.  Mt. PT and I do not eat a lot of meat, but sometimes I crave this dish my mother used to often make.

Why don't we eat of lot of meat?  Well, that's an interesting question.  Sometimes I think it is because of the price.  Whenever I buy meat at the grocery store I want to buy the really good meat, and I just don't know if I can justify buying that on a weekly basis at this point in our lives.

Other times I think we just prefer vegetables, fruits, grains, and beans over meat.  I would much rather sit down and eat a quinoa stir fry with freshly sauteed vegetables and delicious spices than a chicken nugget.  I feel better after eating lighter foods.

And then there are times when I get that guilty twinge in my stomach about animal cruelty.  With all the information out there now about cage free chickens, free range cows...I think Mr. PT has made me watch too many foodie documentaries.

But THEN, there is that rare, yet wonderful moment when I'm in a restaurant and order a deliciously cooked hamburger.  I have to admit, when you crave it, it hits the spot.

So, I guess I'm not a total vegetarian (clearly not a vegan), but I do respect certain ideals of both of those eating preferences.  At the end of the day, you should focus on having a balanced diet...one that ensures you get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.  If you would rather choose grilled chicken over a hummus wrap, go for it.  But if you have wellness goals on your brain, try to reach for the hummus wrap at the next opportunity.


 After saying all that, to make my pumped up chicken salad, you will need:
-2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
-1 whole carrot or a handful of baby carrots, diced
-1-2 stalks of celery, diced
-1/8 cup diced onion (optional)
-1/8 cup diced red or green pepper (optional)
-handful of sliced almonds
-1/4 cup light mayo (or plain Greek yogurt)
-3/4 cup cooked brown rice
-pinch pepper and salt
-spice to taste (basil, parsley, garlic, dill, celery seed)

Mix all ingredients together and serve on toasted bread, topped on a salad, or paired with a serving of low fat cottage cheese. Enjoy!

Combine with a positive attitude about exercising.  Tell yourself, "I'm helping my body," "I'll feel great afterwards," "It will get easier the more I do it."  Exercising is physical, yes, but it requires a healthy mind too.



1 comment:

Megan Cermak said...

I love this article! Thanks for taking the time to touch on QUALITY of meat.