Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Express Noodles

Sometimes you just want pasta!

Mr. PT and I got home from the gym tonight famished, so noodles seemed like the perfect meal.  However, I was tired of the same old tomato sauce...it just did not sound appealing tonight.  So I scrounged whatever vegetables I had left in my crisper and threw together a most excellent dish, if I do say so myself!

My mother taught me the secret of a good roux.  When made correctly, a roux can be perfectly paired with whole wheat spaghetti.

Start with olive oil or butter warmed in a large skillet.  Soften your favorite vegetables or meats.  Tonight, I sauteed sliced mushrooms, chopped red onions, and thinly sliced red peppers.  I seasoned these with a touch of salt and pepper.  To make the roux, I combined about 1/2 cup of chicken broth, (you can use vegetable broth), 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice, and about 2 tablespoons of white flour.  I stirred this on medium heat until it was thick, adding my seasonings (garlic, basil, parsley).

Mr. PT was in charge of the pasta!  While I was thickening up my roux, he boiled 1/2 box of whole wheat spaghetti.  When that reached al dente, I threw it in the pan with my soupy sauce and let the flavors soak for about 5 minutes.


After a long day of work and a tough cycling class, this tasted delicious sprinkled with some mozzarella cheese.

Give yourself a break from Ragu...try a roux!

Combine with a quickie strength workout.  100 bicep curls, 100 shoulder lifts, 100 tricep curls.  Use heavier weights than normal since you're making it quick!

 


No comments: