Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pizza Pizza

Mt. PT and I rarely eat out, but when we do, he always wants pizza and I always want sushi.  I have yet to master homemade sushi (I'd rather eat it from a wooden boat anyway), but pizza I can do!  The best pizzas are made with homemade crust, but that happens about 1 every 5 pizzas.  The pre-made crusts aren't too bad and they require much less rising time (none!).  Just be careful, some brands are loaded with extra sodium and possibly trans fats.

I buy Kroger brand pizza crusts (find them in the pasta section) because they seem the least offensive and you get two!

Mr. PT literally had an hour to come home and eat between appointments tonight, so I whipped this pie up in about 15 minutes!

I gave up on pizza sauce a long time ago.  It just seemed unnecessarily salty and did not taste all that great.  So I took the extra simple route and started slicing fresh tomatoes to use as a "sauce."  I promise, you will not miss the stuff in jars.  Here is the complete recipe for a loaded pizza..give and take as many veggies and meats as you like:

-1 pizza crust
-1 fresh tomato, or 2 roma tomatoes thinly sliced
-1/4 green pepper, chopped or sliced
-1/4 red pepper, chopped or sliced
- 2-3 tbs chopped red onion
-3-4 mushrooms, chopped or sliced
-2-3 tbs Italian spices (basil, oregano, garlic, rosemary, thyme, etc)
-mozzarella cheese (as much as you like)
-olive oil


Load the crust with tomatoes and veggies, sprinkle with spices, top with cheese and pepperoni, then drizzle with olive oil.  Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes (or until you smell it in the next room!).


I think we ate this in less time than it took to bake!  This version of pizza is much lighter than restaurant or frozen pizzas.  You will feel so good after eating it.  Enjoy!

No comments: