Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Oops, Ash Wednesday!

With all the craziness of personal and professional lives, it is easy to forget special days.  Today, I forgot Ash Wednesday!  Ooops!

Luckily, I made fish for dinner (thank you subconscious mind).  Mr. PT and I do not eat fish as much as we should, but when we do, it is a welcome reunion!  I like fish on its own, with rice, with pasta, or, like tonight, with salad.  Tonight, I made a delicious dish filled with yummy vegetables and leafy greens.

I know I've mentioned this before, but one of the keys to cooking healthy meals on a regular basis is having fresh items in stock.  If you have fresh fruits and vegetables in your refrigerator, it is easy to get creative with dishes.  I tend to buy the same old veggies, so tonight, I vowed to pick up some zucchini and broccoli on my next trip to the store to mix things up.

I plan on giving up chocolate for Lent this year...boring? Maybe, but difficult? YES.
Looks like I'll need to figure out some new dessert options...

salmon filet brushed with olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, pinch of salt, black and red pepper

 sauteed mushrooms, red peppers, red onion, and corn

You will need:
-head of green or red lettuce
-filet of favorite fish
-lemon/lime juice
-1/4 red pepper, chopped
-cup mushrooms, chopped
-1/8 cup of chopped red onion
-1/3 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
-olive oil, salt, pepper

Separate, wash, and spin lettuce, set aside.  Saute mushrooms, pepper, onions and corn in olive oil until soft.  Season with salt and red/black pepper.  Brush filet with olive oil, citrus, and spices.  Place in aluminum foil and broil until done in the middle (5-10 min).  Assemble salad with vegetables and fish, top with fresh carrots and balsamic vinegar and...

  Enjoy!






No comments: