Saturday, October 22, 2011

After School Munchies

After a long, crazy day at work, coming home feels like heaven.  I kick my work shoes off, throw my purse aside, and slowly feel myself unwind from the day.  Sometimes I have the urge to lace up my running shoes and run a few miles around the neighborhood.  Other days I manage to get myself back in the car with my yoga mat and spend some time at the local YMCA.  But sometimes, I just need to postpone exercise and relax.  These are usually the days I feel like I got enough exercise running around at school chasing kids!

No matter what my agenda is after school, I'm always in the mood for a snack.  Stress has a tricky way of making us crave salty, sugary, fatty foods.  My solution?  Don't buy them!  Instead, try to fill your pantry with foods that will satiate your palate without going on a total binge of potato chips and chocolate cookies.

As an example, here is an after school snack that includes a little fat, a little salt, and a little sugar.  In addition, it includes fresh items that pack in a lot of great vitamins, minerals, and protein.

sliced apples with homemade peanut butter and blueberry vanilla granola

See how to make your own peanut butter HERE.

So before you let your stress craving control you, take a deep breath and spend some time with your after school snack.  I promise it will be worth it.

Combine with...GROUP EXERCISE!  My gym puts on a great PUMP class that is about 45 minutes and targets arms, back, legs, and abs.  Sometimes working out with a group is what you need to get yourself moving!

No comments: