Saturday, September 24, 2011

Eat Green!

Looking for a way to eat less without...eating less?  Try to eat more green!

What I mean is, instead of eating a big, heavy meal every day at lunch and/or suppertime, fill a plate with mostly green foods and pair them with a small serving of something heavier.  Try to do this 2-3 (or more) days a week.

A good example is a dinner Mr. PT and I had the other night.  I was tired and craving a serious comfort food of mine...fried potatoes.  But I knew I would feel MORE tired and sluggish if I ate a plateful of starch.  So, I piled my plate with a salad (lettuce, carrots, raisins, nuts, olive oil/balsamic dressing, and a sprinkle of cheese) and threw on a fist-size pile of diced red potatoes made crispy with olive oil and seasoned with rosemary, pepper, onions, and mushrooms.


If you find yourself eating too many heavy foods, reduce!  Don't eliminate!  Eat a third of what you normally eat and replace the other 2/3 with something green (salad, broccoli, asparagus...etc).

And FYI, Mr. PT and I shared those 3 pieces of bread. ;)

Combine with a run or fast paced walk on a bike path or greenway of some sort.  Hopefully you have one nearby!  This is a great way to get off the busy streets and into nature.  You will strengthen your body and enjoy the tranquility of the outdoors all at the same time.

No comments: