Sunday, May 29, 2011

Oh, Those Summer Mornings

Excuse my absence!  Working in a school definitely has its perks, one being the lovely three month break every summer.  Unfortunately, this means the month of May is jam packed with last minute projects, tests, meetings, and other events to clutter the calendar.

However, the month is wrapping itself up and cold weather has officially fleeted.  There is no looking back now!

I promise, I have been cooking the past two weeks, but my busy schedule has made it difficult to get adventurous in the kitchen so I have been sticking to a lot of favorites you've seen already.  I did manage to document a nice fish dish you might want to try.  Simple and healthy, yet satisfying.

Tilapia with Brown Rice and Vegetables

For this dish, I stir fried the brown rice with the traditional mix of veggies (onion, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach), some white beans, and zesty spices.  For the fish, I rinsed and pat-dried the filets and laid them in a "dish" made out of aluminum foil.  Then I drizzled the fish with olive oil and lemon juice.  I spiced them up with red/green pepper, rosemary, parmesan cheese, and a sprig of dill.  I put the dish in the broiler for about 10-12 minutes checking regularly.  Mr. PT usually is my broiler man because he is good at deciding when the fish is done.  However, all he does is wait about 10 minutes and cut a filet through the middle to make sure it falls apart.  You could also use a meat thermometer.

This was a light, flavorful dish that tasted delicious after an outside jog.

This morning, the weather was beautiful.  The sun was out but the humidity had not yet arrived.  The breeze blowing through the blooming trees made the air feel and smell like summer was coming.  It was not a cereal morning, or an egg morning...certainly too decadent for a smoothie.  So I cooked up some french toast.  I learned how to make this simple breakfast treat from my mother who has it perfected.  I will share it with you!


The secret to good french toast is to toast the bread first.  Sounds silly, but, it makes a big difference!  The bread can then soak up the egg mixture yet fend off sogginess.

Dip the toasted bread in a whisked mixture of...
-3-4 eggs
-2-3 tablespoons of milk
-teaspoon of vanilla
-teaspoon of cinnamon
-teaspoon of cloves

Cook the soaked bread in a non-stick pan until browned on each side.  Serve with yogurt, fresh fruit, and a drizzle of maple syrup.  Sit on your porch and enjoy every moment.

No comments: