Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chicken with Greens

Here comes the heat!  This weather, in my opinion, calls for cool summer meals that satiate without sweat!  So why not a nice chicken salad?

I started with a nice mix of red lettuce and spinach leaves, chopped, rinsed, spinned, and left to air dry.  Then I took 3-4 chicken breasts and put them in a medium sized pot filled about half way with water.  I put this on high heat as I chopped and added 1 stalk celery and one large carrot.  I added dried chives, parsley, red/black/green pepper, some garlic and cumin spices, and a touch of salt.  I let this come to boil, then simmered the mix until the meat measured at least 165 on a meat thermometer.  I was left with tender chicken and an awesome broth to save for soup, rice, pasta, or...whatever! 


I then shredded the chicken breasts into small pieces and added 1/4 chopped green and red pepper, 1/2 chopped celery stalk, 1/2 chopped carrot.  It was about this time that I realized I was missing a main ingredient...mayonnaise!  Uh oh, I've made chicken salad without mayo before and it turned out rather dry.  So I searched my refrigerator and found...plain Greek yogurt!  Along with some light ranch dressing.  So, I took the risk and added about 3/4 cup of yogurt and 1-2 tablespoons of ranch dressing.  I dressed up the whole shabang with pepper, a pinch of basil, and some more garlic and cumin type spices.

Did it work? Success!  I officially (and accidentally) made a healthier version of chicken salad!  Another good example of not knowing how something will turn out until you try it!


Mr. PT and I garnished this mix with a little cheese, oil/vinegar, tomatoes, and blue chips on the side.  It turned out to be a healthy and incredibly delicious mix!

No comments: