Sunday, January 20, 2013

Better Batter

I don't know if it's the surplus of Ihop and Denny's commercials on television for the NFL playoffs or my baby's love of breakfast food, but I have been craving pancakes all weekend!

I know I've made some pretty healthy pancakes with buckwheat and whole wheat flour in the past, but today is a different day with different cravings and I wanted fluffy, buttermilk pancakes.

Mr. PT and I almost stopped at a diner after church, but we thought it would be better to save our money (not only do we have a baby on the way but we have a car on the way out...) and make our own.

I stopped at the store for some essential items and came across this intriguing package in the organic section of the store.


I realize pancakes are not that hard to make from scratch, however, my stomach was growling and the word "buttermilk" was calling my name.

They turned out beautifully!  Thick and fluffy, just what I wanted.  Pancakes and waffles taste the best with real maple syrup.  I know it's expensive ($8? Seriously??) but the taste of real maple is irreplaceable.


Fresh fruit in the winter is also a refreshing reminder of what is to come in a few months.

If you scoff at packaged pancake mix, try Ruth Reichl's version of the real thing.  She was the editor of Gourmet Magazine and a food critic for both the LA and New York Times.  She has written some fantastic memoirs and writes a killer food blog.

Combine with a day of rest if you need it.  Swim, bike, run, rest.  Give yourself a much needed break once in a while.

No comments: