Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What's in your pot?

Tired of those old-fashioned American style soups, heavy with cream and cheese?

Try a vegetable miso soup!

I got this idea after I picked up my vegetable share today.  My bag was full of collards, leeks, and daikon radishes.  I also had mushrooms and carrots leftover from last week!

Start with a big pot of chicken broth...I used the biggest stock-pot I had!  Bring the broth to a boil and add thinly sliced radishes, carrots, mushrooms, and leeks.  Pull chard leaves away from stems, rinse, and cut into 1 inch strips.  Add to broth.

Season with fresh rosemary, dill, salt/pepper.  Simmer for 1-2 hours.

I added about 1/4 box of whole-wheat spaghetti about 10 minutes before serving to add a little extra filler.


Enjoy with some crusty bread dipped into this wonderfully flavored broth!  The vegetables may look icky and crunchy at first, but give them some time to season the soup.  You will also feel the house get warmer and cozier the longer this soup simmers on your stove.


Combine with a long walk...for exercise and release of the stress from a long day at work!

No comments: