Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Winter Warmth

It was time for a new soup! I constantly get recipe ideas in my email from Recipe.com, a great source for ideas! I came across this one recently and of course had to try it because of the added kale! Yum!

http://www.recipe.com/pasta-fagioli-soup/?sssdmh=dm17.716120&esrc=nwdr011614

You can use the exact recipe if you want, but I made a few changes because...
1) Mr. Pt hates tomato soup so I cut out the tomato paste
2) I had celery in my fridge dying to be used!
3) I love egg noodles!

So here is my version:

-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
-1 onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, chopped
-14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
-2 14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
-8 ounce (about 2 cups) whole wheat egg noodles
-1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
-1 bunch fresh kale, tough stems discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces and washed
-2 cans small white beans, drained and rinsed
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, broth and 3 cups water. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Add pasta and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Stir in kale; cook 5 minutes more. Reduce heat to medium and stir in beans, salt and pepper. Heat through. Serve with crackers or freshly sliced bread! Stay warm and enjoy!

No comments: