Monday, July 25, 2011

Waste No More!

Have you ever excitedly bought fresh bread, only to find it has become hard as a rock before you had a chance to finish it?  This often happens when I buy baguettes at the store.  I try to keep them sealed in a bag and cool in the fridge, but no matter what, it turns stale in at least 2 days.  That's what you get with no preservatives, I guess!  But I don't get too discouraged because I know there are STILL dishes you can prepare with stale bread.  You can crush it up in a food processor and save it for breadcrumbs.  Or, you can whip up some fantastic French toast.  This option is my personal favorite.


The staleness of the bread gives the French toast a nice stiffness (not soggy) and makes it easier to handle on the griddle.

 I personally like to add vanilla, cinnamon, and almond extract to my egg mixture, drizzle the warm toast with vanilla yogurt and light syrup, then top off with fresh fruit.  I promise you will be so glad you did not trash that bread!

Combine with a brisk walk or run for 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes of strength exercises using your own body weight or dumbbells.

No comments: